Today, 6 West Loudoun Street in Round Hill, Virginia is home to The Old Furniture Factory, but the building has an interesting past...
1886: The building was originally built in the late 1880's by Walter Howell. Walter and his brother Letcher operated a furniture factory here known as the Howell Brothers Furniture Emporium.
Originally, the building consisted of a smaller two-story post-and-beam structure occupying about one third of the current floor plan. Later editions expanded both the first and second floors,
replacing the gable roof with today's shed roof. A stable or carriage house once stood in the rear of the lot. Though this building no longer stands, evidence of its foundation can be seen.
: Neighbor Niles Poulsen purchased the factory and machinery and it was later know as the Klein Wright Building.
: Sometime around 1910 the Old Round Hill School, which was located across the street on the site of the present day Methodist Parsonage, burned down. While the new school was being built on High Street, The Old Furniture Factory served as a temporary schoolhouse from 1911-1912.
: The building was used for William Osburn's grocery store an a tin shop occupied by Niels Poulsen's son, K. Luther Poulsen. During prohibition, it served as a speak-easy.
: Herrell's general store was located here in the 1950s and early 1960s. A hand painted Coca-Cola sign on the sign of the building was uncovered during recent restoration work.
: Wally Johnson along with a partner purchased the Old Furniture Factory in 1985 and operated American Woodworkers Incorporated until 1997 when AWI moved. During this time, historic reproduction cabinetry and stairs for many of the regions' historic homes were built by hand in what is now the building's woodshop.
: American Woodcrafters Incorporated leaves the Old Furniture Factory and Wally Johnson and Carolyn Kruger become owners of the building.
: From 2001 until 2009 The Old Furniture Factory was home to the Round Hill Arts Center founded by building owners Wally Johnson and Carolyn Kruger. In 2009 the Round Hill Arts Center moved to their new location at Hill High Orchard in Round Hill. For information regarding Round Hill Arts Center activities please refer to their website at www.roundhillartscenter.org
Renovations began on the building and include a new interior and exterior staircase, a large deck at the rear of the building, new siding, exterior painting, handicap accessable male and female restrooms and a fire supression system. When improvements are complete, it is anticipated that we will be able to have upwards of 300 people in the building at any given time.